Voodoo Chicken Fried Steak
- 1 qt. Pioneer® Roasted Jalapeño Cream Skillet Gravy Mix (214161), prepared
- 3 cups Pioneer® Pre-Dip Batter Mix (216558), prepared 1 lb. batch
- 4 cups Pioneer® All Purpose Batter and Breading Mix (216555)
- 1 lb. Bacon, sliced
- 30 pcs. Cubed steak (4-6 oz. each)
- 1 stick Butter, divided
- 2 cups Onion, diced
- 2 cups Green bell pepper, diced
- 48 oz. Crawfish tails
- Preheat deep fryer to 350°F.
- Prepare the Pioneer® Roasted Jalapeño Cream Skillet Gravy Mix according to package instructions. Reserve 1 quart of the gravy for another use and set 1 remaining quart aside.
- Cook the bacon in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat until crispy. Remove from pan and pour off about half of the fat in the pan, set pan with fat aside. Chop cooled bacon and set aside.
- Place 3 cups of prepared Pioneer Pre-Dip Batter Mix in a bowl. In another bowl, place 4 cups of dry Pioneer All Purpose Batter and Breading Mix.
- Pre-dust the cubed steaks in the dry all-purpose mix, shake off excess, and then dip into the wet pre-dip. Next, place the cubed steak back into the dry all-purpose mix and shake off excess. Repeat for all cubed steaks.
- Fry breaded steaks in hot oil until golden brown, or the internal temperature reaches 165°F. Keep warm.
- Melt ½ stick of butter in reserved pan with bacon fat (from step 3) and sauté the onions and green bell peppers until translucent, about 5–7 minutes.
- Add the chopped bacon and crawfish tails and simmer for 1 minute.
- Combine the 1 quart of reserved prepared gravy with the bacon and crawfish tail mixture along with the remaining ½ stick of butter.
- Simmer for 2–3 minutes, stirring often to melt the butter, then serve over the hot chicken fried steaks with extra sauce on the side for dipping.
- Conestoga Breading & Batter Mix (99457)
- Morrison's Breading Mix (00772)